ASTRO 25 Portable CPS R13.00.00
- VISTA with Service Pack 1 is supported in R12.00.00 CPS and higher!
(see 'For VISTA Users' section below).
- If both portable and mobile CPS's are used, it is recommended to update
both at the same time, and tutorials should be installed with BOTH versions.
- POP25 feature is NOT supported with VISTA operating system.
New Radio Features Supported:
NOTE: FIRMWARE VERSION R13.00.00 or HIGHER IS REQUIRED FOR THE
FOLLOWING FEATURES TO WORK IN THE RADIO:
- External Accessory Support
- Random Holdoff Timer support
Detailed information for each of these features can be found in the CPS
help. Help can be accessed from the CPS menu by selecting Help-> CPS Help
Customer Reported Issue Resolved:
- "Secure/Clear Mode" is now available on Buttons for XTS 1500 Model 1.5.
For VISTA Users:
The following configuration on Vista Home Premium and Business Premium needs
to be set for the CPS to function properly:
- Vista Theme should be set to “Windows Classic?
- Codeplug archive names should not exceed 30 characters.
- A Vista compatible printer is required for using the Print functionality
in the CPS.
- In order for the PDA to synch successfully with CPS on Vista, Windows
Mobile Device Center should be used. It can be downloaded from
- User Access Control should be turned OFF before using CPS.
Features that do not work with User Access Control (UAC) ON:
- Feature Access Setup
- PDA ?ASTRO 25 CPS Tool will not install
- Any feature that uses log files such as POP25 Programmer
Due to the newly added support for Vista, the tutorials and help engine
have been updated to a new format. Required modifications to the new help
format require Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 or above. Microsoft
shipped Internet Explorer version 6 in 2001.
Thirteen of the online help’s tutorial files have been converted from an
AVI format (.avi) to the Adobe Flash (.swf) format. The .avi to .swf
conversion saves over 250 megabytes of harddrive space.
All tutorial lessons are now in the Flash format. These tutorial lessons require
Flash Player version 6 or above to be installed. Flash version 6 was shipped in 2002.
Currently there are approximately 60 tutorial lessons requiring about 70
megabytes of harddrive space. The tutorials are always installed in a
“\Tutorials?subfolder for each of the CPS applications.
It is strongly recommended to install the tutorials with this new version
of the CPS. Previous tutorial versions are not recognized by R12.00.00 CPS
Note: Double-clicking a link within the help text might generate a error
Operating Systems: Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher)
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Vista Home Premium 32-bit (SP 1 or higher)
Vista Business 32-bit (SP 1 or higher)
NOTE: XP upgrade OR Vista upgrade from other operating
systems is not supported.
Windows ME and Windows 98 are no longer supported.
You may choose to proceed with the installation,
but some features might not function properly.
Upgrading to a supported operating system is highly
Processor 400 MHz or higher Pentium grade Processor.
Vista requires 1 GHz
Memory 512 MB RAM minimum for all supported operating
systems except for Vista. Vista minimum
requirement is 1 GB of System memory
Hard Disk Space 1 Gigabyte Drive with 250 MB minimum free space
(for a Typical Installation,including Help Audio-VisualTutorials)
or 150 MB minimum free space (for a Compact installation)
40 GB hard drive for Vista
Peripherals Microsoft Windows supported Mouse or Trackball
Microsoft Windows supported Serial Port
for radio communication
Microsoft Windows supported Printer Port
for report printing
CD-ROM for software installation
NOTE: For computers that are not equipped with
a serial port, radio communications may be
possible with the use of an off-the-shelf
USB to RS232 converter, such as the IOGEAR
USB to Serial/PDA Converter Cable.
Click here for Model 3
1) Drop down items in table fields cannot be accessed when using Windows XP
Professional "Windows XP Style" display. If this issue is encountered,
change the display setting to "Windows Classic Style" for proper
2) Attempting to Read from or Write to a radio with the CPS while the Tuner,
Data Link Manager, or synchronization software for a PDA is open and
communicating with a radio will cause a communication failure.
3) Due to French import laws, the Microsoft encryption support used to
create archive (.cpg) files with the CPS (Customer Programming Software)
is not available on the French version of the Windows Operating Systems.
Therefore, there is no way to save archive files when the CPS is
installed on the French version of Windows. Until import laws are
changed such that Microsoft can provide encryption support, this feature
can not be addressed.
4) Under Tools->FLASHport->Read Radio Configuration, closing the dialog box
by pressing the 'X' in the upper right of the dialog while the application
is still busy (the cursor is shaped like an hourglass) may terminate the
5) Memory issues have been reported when 3 or more sessions of the CPS are
open at the same time.
6) Please install the CPS before attempting to connect the radio to the PC
using the USB cable.
7) If Logitech MouseWare version 9.76 is installed on the PC, it causes
Tools>Reports to fail and enter corrupt data in the registry. This occurs
when an ampersand is entered as part of a Zone Channel name. If the
MouseWare is either removed or upgraded to MouseWare version 9.79.1 or
later, it resolves the problem.
8) Once starting to read or write codeplug via POP25, the process can't
be cancelled. Depending on the size of codeplug, this process could
take long time (3 to 8 minutes).
9) Please avoid saving an invalid codeplug with "~" characters in table fields.
Doing so may cause the application to terminate.
10) If an Advanced System Key(ASK) fails to load, close the currently open
codeplug and reopen it. The System Key should be active, even though an error
message may appear.
11) When formatting an Advanced System Key, the 'Initialize' message may appear
several times. Please select 'Cancel' to proceed.
12) 'Failsoft Connect Tone' field can only be Advanced System Key protected if
'Connect Tone' is also protected. Specific protection for this field is not
13) Voice Files do NOT get copied when using POP25 feature.
14) "Preset Zone and Channel Enable" should NOT be enabled when using a DTMF
Click here for Model 1
1) It is no longer required that the previous version of the application be
uninstalled before installing this release. Note that this does not allow
multiple versions to be installed, rather the already installed application
will be upgraded.
2) When the Installation CD is inserted into the CD-ROM drive, the
installation will start automatically if auto start is enabled for
the PC. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
3) Windows NT Installation: If the Install does not find the shlwapi.dll in
*\WINNT\System32 directory, Internet Explorer 5.01 SP1 or above must be
installed to facilitate the XML installation, which is required for the
FLASHport feature of the CPS.
4) Please refer to the CPS Programming Installation Guide, which is
included with this software for more detailed information.
5) If a file installed by the CPS later becomes corrupted, the Repair
option on the Installation CD may be used to restore it. It is very
important that the Installation CD for the same version that is
installed on the computer is used for Repair. Use of a different
version in an attempt to Repair an installation will result in further
6) If the PC has never had a 1-Wire USB device connected to it before, such
as the USB dongle used for FLASHkeys or Advanced keys, then plug it in right
after installation to complete the USB install. If it is not recognized or if auto-detect can not locate the USB device driver, then point the New Hardware Wizard's Driver installer to it in the install drive, such as "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.
The wizard should then find and install the driver automatically.
Click here for Model 1.5
Connecting the PC to the Radio:
Do not use the Radio Interface Box (RIB), Smart Radio Interface Box (SRIB)
or any of the cables that plug into those boxes. Use only the following
direct PC to radio cables:
XTS 5000 / XTS 2500 / SSE 5000 / XTS 1500 / MT 1500 / PR 1500:
RS232 cable = RKN4106
USB cable = RKN4105
RS232 cable = NKN1027A
USB cable = NKN1029A
When using the USB cable, be sure to always click "Yes" on the Digital
Signature window whenever it is displayed by the operating system. Note
that the USB cable can be used only with Windows XP Service Pack 1 or higher
and Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher operating systems. The CPS or
Tuner application must first be installed before attaching the USB cable and
turning the radio on.
For additional cables information, go to Help-> CPS help topics -> Index ->
Click here for Model 2
1) For trunking customers, the first time the CPS is started, navigate to the
User Settings Dialog under the Tools menu and set up the directories where
the system key files will be stored.
2) To retrieve data from XTS 3000 or ASTRO Saber codeplugs, first read
the codeplug into the ASTRO Saber / XTS 3000 CPS and use the top node
drag and drop feature to copy the data into the XTS 5000 or XTS 2500
codeplug. Drag and drop is a very powerful and time-saving tool, but the
data should always be verified before writing to a radio. The Drag and
Drop Report can help with this verification. Please view the Drag and
Drop Tutorial included in Help for more information.
3) To get help on a field, press F1 while focus is on the field, or click on
the Help button on the tool bar (an Arrow with a question mark) and then
click on the field for which help is desired.
4) For more information on the features available in the Windows CPS, we
suggest viewing the audio-visual help tutorials. They can be accessed
from the CPS menu by selecting Help->CPS Help Topics, and then double-
clicking on CPS-User...Audio & Video Tutorials, then The Tutorials Menu.
Then select the appropriate tutorial.